Will running Wind mess up the DRAWS installation

Mike B

Specifically there is a project working on VARA HF/FM running under Wine on a Raspberry Pi (due to a decrease in the number of ax.25 nodes available)

https://github.com/WheezyE/Winelink

Can running WIne itself mess up the DRAWS installation...especially since it will be accessing sound ports.

I am not asking for support of something outside DRAWS...I just want to know if anyone has run Wine, and if anyone has had issues with it on a  DRAWS install.

Mike

KF5DEY

Basil Gunn

First make sure that direwolf is NOT using the DRAWS codec.
The following command unloads direwolf & the AX.25 binding.

ax25-stop

Verify by running:

ax25-status

HOWEVER, running VARA on a Raspberry Pi (PI 4 uses ARMv8a instruction
set) requires an X86 instruction emulator (Box86) besides running Wine.

Good luck.

Mike B <kf5dey@gmail.com> writes:

Specifically there is a project working on VARA HF/FM running under Wine on a Raspberry Pi (due to a decrease in the number of ax.25 nodes available)

https://github.com/WheezyE/Winelink

Can running WIne itself mess up the DRAWS installation...especially since it will be accessing sound ports.

I am not asking for support of something outside DRAWS...I just want to know if anyone has run Wine, and if anyone has had issues with it on a DRAWS install.

Mike

KF5DEY

Jim VA7SHG/VE7TGZ

This is an interesting project. Though I disagree with the closed nature of VARA so haven't paid a lot of attention to it, it interesting to see the workarounds folks are going through to "open" it a bit more.  It appears this project is doing x86 emulation as well as Wine.  I may have to backup my setup and give it a try.  It's been a long time since I played with Wine, and it sure wasn't on a Raspberry Pi, more likely a 386/486. :)

73, Jim

On 2021-11-06 9:57 a.m., Basil Gunn wrote:
[...]

Not sure what you mean.

I count 15 packet RMS Gateways within 35 miles of your grid square
(EM12gu). I have 37 RMS gateways within 35 miles of my grid square
(CN88nl).

rmslist.sh 35 EM12gu | grep "1200\|9600"

K5COW-10 145030000 n/a 8 1200 PUBLIC
K5COW-10 145030000 n/a 8 9600 PUBLIC
KN6Q 145050000 NET-19 10 9600 PUBLIC
W0UO-10 144950000 NET-12 13 1200 PUBLIC
WB5KUO-10 144930000 NET-17 25 1200 PUBLIC
WB5KUO-10 144930000 NET-17 25 1200 PUBLIC
W5WK-10 145050000 NET-19 26 1200 PUBLIC
W5WK-10 145050000 NET-19 26 1200 PUBLIC
KD5EOC-10 144990000 NET-11 28 1200 EMCOMM
KD5EOC-10 144990000 NET-11 28 1200 EMCOMM
N0JY-10 145090000 n/a 30 1200 PUBLIC
KC5TSU-10 144990000 NET-11 31 1200 PUBLIC
KC5TSU-10 144990000 NET-11 31 1200 PUBLIC
W5AUY-10 145070000 n/a 34 1200 PUBLIC
W5FC-10 145030000 n/a 34 1200 PUBLIC

Basil Gunn <basil@pacabunga.com> writes:

[...]

K5COW is ours running ax.25 and VARAFM... So this wasn't specific to my situation...but future proofing.

Mike

BTW stupid autocorrect (fat fingers) mis typed the title.... WINE

Mike B

BTW apparently the project is RPi4 only...so I won't be testing it right away.

Mike

Yeah breaking Wind shouldn't be a problem either