YAAC Port Settings #yaac #xastir

Tim Sperry

What are the proper port settings to use when setting up the DRAWS Hat with YAAC?
I have everything working fine between the DRAWS Hat and my FT-891 using WSJT-X and FLDIGI with AX25-stop
Now I think I need to start AX25 to use YAAC or XASTIR
Is there the needed information in this group to set up either or of these with the Hat?

Tim - AG6RS

Basil Gunn

I have some Xastir configuration notes here:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/xastir

The "Configure interfaces" section will be useful for you.

These notes were written for a UDRC II but the BETA images have a lot of things
already setup.
If you are using a Beta image:
- Latest version of Xastir (V2.1.1) is already installed
- RPi audio is already enabled
- Xastir sounds are already downloaded
- Direwolf is already configured.
You should be able to run it and start configuration.

The Xastir documentation is very good:
https://xastir.org/index.php/Main_Page

I do not have any notes on YAAC which means I didn't have any problems
with the initial configuration.

Both programs require running ax25-start as root.
This starts direwolf using systemd service files.
You only have to do this once unless you run ax25-stop to facilitate
running HF digital programs.

/Basil n7nix

Tim Sperry via Groups.Io <tsperry=verizon.net@groups.io> writes:

What are the proper port settings to use when setting up the DRAWS Hat with YAAC?
I have everything working fine between the DRAWS Hat and my FT-891 using WSJT-X and FLDIGI with AX25-stop
Is there the needed information in this group to set up either or of these with the Hat?

Tim - AG6RS

As Basil says, his AX25 scripts start and stop both the Direwolf modem and the AX25 stack. 

YAAC is pretty simple to connect. With direwolf running, you simply go into interfaces and select an AGW interface localhost:8000

image.png

You can watch what's happening using (in a terminal window)

tail -f /var/log/direwolf/direwolf.conf

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 8:48 AM Tim Sperry via Groups.Io <tsperry=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Tim - AG6RS

--

John D. Hays
Edmonds, WA
K7VE

Jack Spitznagel

Tim,

I do this all the time.

You should not need to touch your ALSAmixer sound settings.

You do need to go back to the “Getting Started Wiki” at Groups.io and carefully work through the section on using ax25/DireWolf. https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Getting-Started

Two important points:

When you want to switch to YAAC (or XASTIR) on DireWolf you need to open a terminal window and do the following as described in the “Getting Started Wiki”:

cd ~/bin

# Become root

sudo su

./ax25-start

This will enable ax25 and Direwolf… Direwolf will continue to run on boot up so to go back to fldigi or wsjt-x, you need to do the following in a terminal window:

cd
cd bin
# Become root
sudo su
./ax25-stop

Hope this helps get you going the right direction.

KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

FM19oo

From: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim Sperry via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, May 8, 2019 11:49
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: [udrc] YAAC Port Settings #yaac #xastir

Tim - AG6RS

--
J Spitznagel
Science River LLC
KD4IZ

AG6RS@...

Thank you all for the info
XASTIR is up an running
Working on YAAC next

Tim - AG6RS

Tim Huffaker

I did not see the port in your file you show above. I don not see a way to determine the port of the Draws to connect.  How can you tell the active port connect to a radio to make sure you can get YAAC connected. I have port 1 on sound card left on my setup.  

Andrew P.

YAAC does not connect directly to a port on the DRAWS hat. Instead, it connects to the Direwolf process, and DireWolf connects to the appropriate port (or ports) on the DRAWS hat as configured in the direwolf.conf file. When you open a port of type AGWPE in YAAC, it will connect to DireWolf using the AGWPE protocol, which allows YAAC to query DireWolf for what ports it has available to use; this is for cases when DireWolf is configured with multiple ADEVICE entries in its configuration file, although it works just as well for a single ADEVICE (you will only get one choice appearing in the YAAC AGWPE configuration panel).

Andrew, KA2DDO
author of YAAC

Sent: Friday, August 6, 2021 10:10 AM
Subject: Re: [draws and udrc] YAAC Port Settings #yaac #xastir

I did not see the port in your file you show above. I don not see a way to determine the port of the Draws to connect. How can you tell the active port connect to a radio to make sure you can get YAAC connected. I have port 1 on sound card left on my setup.

[X]

Basil Gunn

1. From your previous post I still would like to confirm that
your AX.25/Direwolf/DRAWS is working properly.

Please post the console output of:

ax25-status
buginfo.sh
systemctl status direwolf.service

2. 'Port' is an overloaded term. I believe you want to connect YAAC to the
Direwolf AGWPE port, as Andrew KA2DDO mentioned yesterday in a post
(https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/message/5806)

Please read the following links and let me know if
they help.

https://www.ka2ddo.org/ka2ddo/YAACdocs/config_agwpe.html

I did not see the port in your file you show above. I don not see a
way to determine the port of the Draws to connect. How can you tell
the active port connect to a radio to make sure you can get YAAC
connected. I have port 1 on sound card left on my setup.

Tim Huffaker

On Fri, Aug 6, 2021 at 08:32 AM, Basil Gunn wrote:

Hi Basil,

I am using he AGWPE port as Andrew mentioned yesterday.  That is how I always connect  direwolf to YAAC.  When you select the AGWPE port it has a drop down that says Port 1 first Soundcard left and   Port 2 first Soundcard Right.  I would like to know how to decide which one without guessing since both are available.  

pi@KM4ESU:~ $ ax25-status
Status for direwolf.service: RUNNING and ENABLED
Status for ax25dev.service: RUNNING and ENABLED
Status for ax25dev.path: RUNNING and ENABLED
Status for ax25-mheardd.service: RUNNING and ENABLED
Status for ax25d.service: RUNNING and ENABLED
AX.25 device: ax0 successfully configured with ip: 192.168.255.2
AX.25 device: ax1 successfully configured with ip: 192.168.255.3
Direwolf is running with pid of 3618
port: 0, speed: 1200, slottime: 200, txdelay: 500, t1 timeout: 3000, t2 timeout: 1000
port: 1, speed: 1200, slottime: 200, txdelay: 500, t1 timeout: 3000, t2 timeout: 1000
Device: ax0 exists, Device: ax1 exists
pi@KM4ESU:~ $ buginfo.sh
=== Versions ===
== Kernel:
Linux KM4ESU 5.4.79-v7l+ #1373 SMP Mon Nov 23 13:27:40 GMT 2020 armv7l GNU/Linux

== Firmware:
Nov 30 2020 22:12:08 
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version ab1181cc0cb6df52bfae3b1d3fef0ce7c325166c (clean) (release) (start)

== Pi hardware:
 Pi 4 Model B, Rev 1.1, 4GB mem, Mfg by Sony UK with WiFi
temp=66.2'C

== DRAWS hardware:
Product id: 0x0004, ver: 0x0108, Assembly rev: 1, fab rev: 8

=== Checks ===
== Codec driver check:
[    3.646897] asoc-simple-card soc:sound: tlv320aic32x4-hifi <-> fe203000.i2s mapping ok

== DRAWS driver check:
udrc card number line: card 2: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 [bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0]
udrc is sound card #2

== Boot 'fail' check:
[    0.485908] bcmgenet fd580000.ethernet: failed to get enet clock
[    0.485926] bcmgenet fd580000.ethernet: failed to get enet-wol clock
[    0.485935] bcmgenet fd580000.ethernet: failed to get enet-eee clock
[    3.307034] brcmfmac mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43455-sdio.raspberrypi,4-model-b.txt failed with error -2

== GPS check:
Serial devices OK
gpsd OK

== /boot/config file
[pi4]
dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
[all]
dtoverlay=
dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc
force_turbo=1
dtparam=audio=on

pi@KM4ESU:~ $ systemctl status direwolf.service
● direwolf.service - Direwolf Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/direwolf.service; enabled; vendor preset:
   Active: active (running) since Fri 2021-08-06 08:35:26 CDT; 2h 45min ago
 Main PID: 3618 (direwolf)
    Tasks: 15 (limit: 4915)
   CGroup: /system.slice/direwolf.service
           └─3618 /usr/bin/direwolf -t 0 -c /etc/direwolf.conf -p

Aug 06 11:19:12 KM4ESU direwolf[3618]: Weather Report, WEATHER Station (blue), O
Aug 06 11:19:12 KM4ESU direwolf[3618]: N 34 39.2800, W 086 40.4400
Aug 06 11:19:12 KM4ESU direwolf[3618]: , temperature 68, rain 0.00 in last 24 ho
Aug 06 11:19:12 KM4ESU direwolf[3618]: DW0076 audio level = 185(55/30)   [NONE] 
Aug 06 11:19:12 KM4ESU direwolf[3618]: Audio input level is too high.  Reduce so
Aug 06 11:19:12 KM4ESU direwolf[3618]: [1.5] DW0076>APOT21,AL2-2:!3439.28N/08640
Aug 06 11:19:12 KM4ESU direwolf[3618]: Weather Report, WEATHER Station (blue), O
Aug 06 11:19:12 KM4ESU direwolf[3618]: N 34 39.2800, W 086 40.4400
Aug 06 11:19:12 KM4ESU direwolf[3618]: , temperature 68, rain 0.00 in last 24 ho
Aug 06 11:21:12 KM4ESU systemd[1]: /etc/systemd/system/direwolf.service:10: Defa
lines 1-18/18 (END)

Basil Gunn

Thanks for posting your console output. Everything looks good.

I am using he AGWPE port as Andrew mentioned yesterday. That is how I
always connect direwolf to YAAC. When you select the AGWPE port it
has a drop down that says Port 1 first Soundcard left and Port 2 first
Soundcard Right. I would like to know how to decide which one without
guessing since both are available.
With regards to YAAC:
Port 1 is left mDin6 connector
Port 2 is right mDin6 connector

With regards to Direwolf
Port 0 is left mDin6 connector
Port 1 is right mDin6 connector

The default install using my scripts has the left connector active. I
believe that Direwolf supports a single AGWPE port and that will using
the left connector for the default configuration.

I believe (not sure as I haven't tried it) there is a way to use two
AGWPE ports with Direwolf in the latest DEV version of the software.

See Direwolf User-Guide.pdf Section 9.4.1 AGWPE network protocol

Tim Huffaker

Basil,

Thank you for sharing the ports.  Maybe this with a drawing should be published I think it would help.  If you are interested this is for a bike event base station to see the SAG vehicles as they pick up stranded bike riders.  

Thank you again for your excellent help. 
Tim
KM4ESU

Andrew P.

Tim:

Speaking from experience, I wouldn't run YAAC on a Pi for bicycle operations, unless you're using an alternate disk drive device for the YAAC tiledir (where the imported OpenStreetMap data is stored). SD cards are far too slow for map re-rendering if you need to pan the map around to look for where a bicyclist is broken down. I've measured it, and it's not the Pi CPU that is the limiting factor, but reading the SD card. And not all of the streets in OpenStreetMap actually have names on them (although most do); sometimes you may not be able to find a named cross-street where the bicyclist broke down with YAAC's Locate->Landmark option, especially if you don't spell it matching how the map data submitter spelled it.

For a bike event, I typically run YAAC on a laptop with a decently fast disk, hooked up to a large 4HD flatscreen TV, so I can see the whole course. The Pi is fine to run DireWolf and provide other functionality, but it's terrible for map rendering.

Andrew, KA2DDO
author of YAAC and
APRS manager, Chester County ARES/RACES team for the French Creek Iron Tour (a 100-mile bike course https://irontour.org/ )

Sent: Friday, August 6, 2021 4:12 PM

Basil,

Thank you for sharing the ports. Maybe this with a drawing should be published I think it would help. If you are interested this is for a bike event base station to see the SAG vehicles as they pick up stranded bike riders.

Tim
KM4ESU

Andrew P.

On the other hand, the Pi does work well in a SAG vehicle, because it's small and can be powered off a 12v power adapter.

Sent: Friday, August 6, 2021 5:12 PM

Tim:

Speaking from experience, I wouldn't run YAAC on a Pi for bicycle operations, unless you're using an alternate disk drive device for the YAAC tiledir (where the imported OpenStreetMap data is stored). SD cards are far too slow for map re-rendering if you need to pan the map around to look for where a bicyclist is broken down. I've measured it, and it's not the Pi CPU that is the limiting factor, but reading the SD card. And not all of the streets in OpenStreetMap actually have names on them (although most do); sometimes you may not be able to find a named cross-street where the bicyclist broke down with YAAC's Locate->Landmark option, especially if you don't spell it matching how the map data submitter spelled it.

For a bike event, I typically run YAAC on a laptop with a decently fast disk, hooked up to a large 4HD flatscreen TV, so I can see the whole course. The Pi is fine to run DireWolf and provide other functionality, but it's terrible for map rendering.

Andrew, KA2DDO
author of YAAC and
APRS manager, Chester County ARES/RACES team for the French Creek Iron Tour (a 100-mile bike course https://irontour.org/ )

Sent: Friday, August 6, 2021 4:12 PM

Basil,

Thank you for sharing the ports. Maybe this with a drawing should be published I think it would help. If you are interested this is for a bike event base station to see the SAG vehicles as they pick up stranded bike riders.

Tim
KM4ESU

Tim Huffaker

Andrew have been running it for several years on a Raspberry Pi and you are right the maps are slow. The course is long and narrow so have to pan only once.  I use a raspberry pi because we work on battery power for the event and I cannot run direwolf and yaac on a tablet that uses lower power.  I went to the Raspberry pi 4 for better graphics.  

Thank you for your insight and building YAAC from an old analog designer.

Tim KM4ESU